Thursday, April 4, 2013

Coming Soon. No Pun Intended.

Coming soon. No pun intended.



by Harold C. Jones


The Virgin and the Troll is a very human story of self-discovery. It’s not my story, not by a long shot, and yet it parallels my life in some ways.
It takes a long time to get over the notion that there is something wrong with you. Something that could be fixed, something that could be changed or remedied. And if it can’t be changed or cured then you are somehow at fault and you’re just not trying hard enough.
Like Andre or Chad in the story, we are all flawed individuals, but some have more courage than others. Some people never confront themselves, not on any level.
Andre had to get over his own negative ideas of who he was, and what that meant, and whether or not it affected his human worth. He had to find a kind of dignity in it.
Why I should phrase a story in exactly these terms is another question.
It may not be the answer, but thank God it’s not another question.
In my own life, I’m not shy. I knew who and what I was from an early age. I set my cap at a guy who eventually became my soul mate. This is the true story.
I went and got a tattoo. It was my first. He was the ink guy everyone talked about. So I asked him for a rose in a certain special place. He was almost done, a simple little thing like that, when he asked if there was anything else.
“Just sign your name right under that,” is what I told him and I’m happy to say we’ve been together ever since.
You have to know what you want, I guess. In The Virgin and the Troll I wanted to tell a story of someone’s desperate bid for freedom, breaking free of all social restraint, and overcoming their fears. Like Andre in the story, I threw caution to the winds. Like me and the ink guy, Andre was fortunate in finding exactly what he needed.
All of the kinky sex in there is really just a bonus, and it’s a lot of fun to write, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment